Materialize looks for under-represented artistic talent who are experimenting with ideas and techniques that respond to the world in which we live.
‘Materialize’ is an ongoing exhibition program, initiated by The Factory in 2017, in response to the great lack of space and opportunity for Vietnamese artists to experiment and display their art in Vietnam. This program seeks artists willing to be challenged with their concepts and materials, who understand that to exhibit their work demands consideration of their audience and how their art is received and understood by a visiting general public.
In 2019 (February onwards), there will be 3 opportunities for 3 artists to undertake a solo show in a particular designated space of The Factory. Each exhibition to be on view for 8-11 weeks.
Applications open on 28 September 2018, and to artists born and currently living in Vietnam, who are over the age of 25.
We are trying a different application process this time! Please submit images of artwork, CV and (desired but not essential) an artist statement on your work and practice. See below for specifications. If our jury are intrigued by what they see, you will be invited for interview so we can learn more about you and your artistic practice. Based upon this interview we will make our final decision on successful candidates.
Applications due: 15 November 2018
How to apply:
- Download application form here
- Provide no more than 5 images of previous work (each image file no larger than 1MB, with full artwork details such as title, year, medium and dimension)
- Provide no more than 5 images of proposed work for exhibition (each image file no larger than 1MB). If artwork is yet to be produced, please provide detailed sketch of the proposed artwork
- Artist CV with up to date exhibition history
- Artist statement and description of proposed exhibition (300 words maximum). Please note: this step is desired but not mandatory
- Send all of the above to email@example.com, with subject line: ‘MATERIALIZE 2019 APPLICATION’
Who is applicable?
- Vietnamese artists born and currently living in Vietnam
- Artists 25 years old and above
What are we looking for in the artist as applicant?
- Portfolio of work demonstrating experimentation with concept and technique, possessing evidence of making art on a regular basis
- Artists who have had little opportunity to create exhibitions of their art
- Willingness to work with a curator in the realization of their exhibition
What are the dimensions of the designated space for this exhibition?
- 4.1 x 3.4 x 2.8m (please see photos and floor plan of ‘Zone 8’ here, it is a room with 3 walls)
- 13 x 5.1 x 3.2m (please see photos and floor plan of ‘Zone 6’ here, it is an irregular room with 1 continuous wall only)
What sort of art form is NOT applicable?
What does The Factory provide?
- A reasonable funding to cover cost of installation, de-installation, transportation, promotion and opening costs of exhibition. Remaining funds can be used to contribute to artwork production costs.
- A curator from The Factory to liaise with artist regarding exhibition license approval; generation of promotional text; finalization of exhibition design and installation
- The Factory owns a limited variety of audio-visual equipment to which we will do our best to provide
What are the responsibilities of the successful applicant?
- To work effectively with staff from The Factory in the timely provision of requested information on their art for license, budget, promotion and exhibition needs
- To provide a public program (e.g talk, workshop, lecture, etc.) on their exhibition
What are the opening dates for these exhibitions in 2019?
- Materialize #5: 10 May 2019
- Materialize #6: 9 August 2019
- Materialize #7: 8 November 2019
(Installation would be 5 or 7 days before each opening)
For further enquiries, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org